Sunday, February 12, 2017
The Unit 5 math assessment will be given on Wednesday. The following skills will be assessed:
- finding common denominators
- adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers with unlike denominators
- multiplying fractions by whole numbers
- multiplying fractions using paper folding, are models, or an algorithm
- explaining why multiplying a fraction by a fraction equal to 1 gives an equivalent fraction
- dividing a unit fraction by a whole number
- dividing a whole number by a unit fraction
In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we began a hero project. We first read a Reader’s Theater called ”Writing on the Wall”. It is about a group of students who were inspired to turn an abandoned, graffiti-filled wall on their school property, into a mural honoring their heroes. We then talked a lot about what it means to be a hero. After much discussion, the students each chose someone who they think is a hero. Some students chose a family member, some chose national figures, and some chose local community members. The students wrote about why their chosen person is a hero to them, and created a project of their choice telling us about their hero. As part of their project they drew a picture of their hero and we combined them all into a mural.
We would like to invite family members in on Friday afternoon, February 17, at 2:15 to check out the projects and the mural. I am very proud of their thoughtfulness and hard work. We hope to see you on Friday.